It is no secret that getting familiar with Adobe Photoshop requires time and patience. The newbies have to learn certain rules and specific terms. One of the most common terms is PSD; used in various contexts it might be confusing for those who have little to no experience of working with Photoshop.
In this article we reveal the meaning of the term “PSD”, and offer brief and useful instructions on creating PSD files. As a bonus you’ll learn about advantages of using ready-made Photoshop templates, and will find out where to download the best ones.
What is a PSD?
A “PSD” is an abbreviation which stands for the words “Photoshop Document”; it is a proprietary type of files developed by Photoshop. PSD files are mostly used in Adobe as the default format of data saving.
Even if a PSD file contains nothing but one image, its functions are much wider than storage. All PSD files support a variety of objects, pictures, filters, and text; besides, they are able to work with layers, transparency, and multiple vector shapes and paths.
Usually PSD files are opened with Adobe Photoshop as it’s the only program which can properly read and edit the variety of utilized layers. Applying Photoshop from the very start guarantees that your PSD file will be accepted by developers and designers worldwide.
How do you make a PSD file?
Although making a PSD file from scratch might seem like a complex and time-consuming process, you’ll get accustomed to it with some practice and patience. Below we offer you a short step-by-step instruction on creating a free printable flyer in .PSD format. Why do we take a flyer as a model? Because this popular, effective and inexpensive form of advertisement is widely used for promoting night clubs, music events, restaurants, sales, etc. Perhaps, a brief guideline on making a free PSD flyer is exactly what you’ve been looking for! So, let’s get started.
· First, launch Adobe Photoshop on the desktop; it might take a few extra moments to load.
· Start with creating a new document. Set dimensions 8.75 x 11.25inches – that’s a standard size with 0.25inch allowances. Since you are making a flyer for printing it is important to set the 300 PPI (dots per inch) resolution, and choose CMYK color mode. Pick the vertical or horizontal orientation, and click “Create” in order to launch new canvas.
· Start designing the flyer. Open the bar on the right to pick the color of background.
· Next, add an image – click “File” in the upper left corner, and then click “Place” in the drop-down menu. You can put just one image in the background, or place several more on top of it.
· Use a text tool to add the text. Keep track of your edits with the list of layers on the right. You can easily switch between layers to add more changes.
· You can add various effects (such as Blur) by clicking “Filter” on the top panel.
· Don’t forget to add the name of your company, the logo, contact information, the name and time of your event, etc.
· Finally, save your PSD flyer. Go to “File” and click “Save”. Add the name of your document, the desired format (.PSD), and press “Save”. Congratulations! Your flyer is ready for printing and sharing.
PSD templates – a great alternative for Photoshop newbies
It’s understandable that creating your first PSD flyer might take a while. Besides, the result might not meet your expectations. Of course you could hire a professional graphic designer to craft a unique flyer but this means extra expenses. Don’t worry though – using the ready-made flyer templates is a solution that will save your money and time. Made by trained designers, PSD templates are ready to download and print. All you need to do is change the text, replace the brand logo, and the image with the help of Adobe Photoshop.
Best resources with PSD templates
In respond to the growing popularity of graphic arts the World Web offer a huge number of PSD file stocks and databases. To save you the hassle of looking for reliable ones we suggest visiting these two sites favored by thousands of users worldwide.
Being around for years this extensive database has mounted a huge number of professional templates for any need and occasion. While exclusive paid options are available for a modest price, you can easily find many great options among the free files. Simply go to https://www.elegantflyer.com/ and click the category “All Friebie” on the upper right. Next, choose “Flyers” on the drop-down menu, and visit the page https://www.elegantflyer.com/category/free-flyers/ to search for the right template. All free files featured here are available free of charge, and can be downloaded in just one click.
As you can tell from the site’s name, free-psd-templates offers exceptionally free PSD files. Professional looking and stylish, they can be used for a variety of needs. Visit them to pick the right category, look through the wide selection, and download a template that can be customized in Adobe Photoshop within just a couple of minutes.
Although studying Adobe Photoshop might seem daunting at first, we believe that you’ll quickly gain the necessary experience. Being able to create unique PSD files and edit the ready templates will be your reward!